“New Network” for Mobility Provides Software-Enabled Path to Open and Secure Mobile Networks, Devices and Applications
BARCELONA, Spain, February 14, 2010 — Juniper Networks® (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings) today unveiled a new technology framework with new software and mobility solutions that will transform the user experience and operator economics of mobile broadband. The “new network” for mobility is designed to address rapidly changing customer behaviors and expectations, while dramatically improving total costs and revenue opportunities for service providers.
Unlike legacy networks that dominate today’s mobile landscape, Juniper’s mobility framework is built on open standards and flexible software platforms that will enable mobile operators to handle a broad range of devices, applications and customer needs. The framework leverages Juniper’s breakthrough MX 3D Series Universal Edge Routers and SRX Series Services Gateways, along with innovative Juniper and partner applications, to help mobile operators deploy truly open and secure mobile networks based on Junos® software.
As part of today’s launch here at GSMA Mobile World Congress, the company announced:
- Junos Ready Software — A growing portfolio of third-party and Juniper-developed applications based on the Junos software platform. Specifically for mobile operators, Juniper is delivering new third-party applications for mobile video delivery, addressable advertising, service monitoring, service delivery and security. The new Junos Ready software is certified and optimized to run on Junos, a cross-network software platform that enables rich user experiences, revolutionary economics and fast time to market.
- Junos Pulse for Smartphones — New mobile security software that closes a significant security gap for enterprises and improves productivity for mobile employees. Available in Q2 2010 for popular mobile devices, Junos Pulse is the industry’s first downloadable client software that provides secure connections across smartphones, notebooks and netbooks to a broad range of corporate applications. Based on the world’s most scalable SSL VPN technology, Junos Pulse delivers world-class security for mobile services in an integrated, extensible client that enables new service models for operators.
- Juniper Mobile Secure — A new solution that integrates security across mobile devices, applications and networks based on Juniper software and systems. Mobile Secure delivers secure user experiences at unprecedented scale based on the world’s fastest SRX Series Services Gateways and industry-first Junos Pulse client software, ensuring broad device support, investment optimization and service enablement.
- Juniper Traffic Direct — A new solution that addresses the immediate experience and cost challenges caused by exponential growth of mobile data traffic due to smartphones, netbooks and notebooks. The first solution from Juniper’s “Project Falcon” initiative disclosed last October, Juniper Traffic Direct optimizes mobile data traffic by combining intelligent subscriber and application policies with powerful MX 3D Series scaling to offload bulk data traffic directly to the Internet, resulting in a better mobile experience. Expected to be available in Q2 2010, Traffic Direct will help providers reduce network congestion, minimize impact on their mobile infrastructure, and lower their total cost of ownership.
- Juniper Media Flow — A new solution that optimizes mobile and fixed networks for fast, efficient video and rich media delivery – enabling a TV-like experience on smartphones and other mobile devices, while yielding TCO reductions for mobile operators. Media Flow leverages advanced software from Juniper partner Ankeena Networks, which enables smooth adaptive bit streaming for uninterrupted video viewing. Expected to be available in Q2 2010, Media Flow will include a Juniper VXA Series content delivery engine and Ankeena software to provide video and content delivery up to 10Gbps per engine. Combining Traffic Direct and Media Flow can help operators lower their total cost of ownership by up to 70 percent according to a study validated by IDC. 1
- Juniper Mobile Core Evolution — A new solution that will provide an open and secure mobile packet core to monetize 3G and 4G services on the same network. Expected to be available for selected customer evaluations in Q4 2010, Mobile Core Evolution will leverage MX 3D Series routers and Junos software to deliver 3G and 4G gateway capabilities while accelerating service innovation and time to market with uncompromised scaling across bandwidth, subscribers and services. Mobile Core Evolution will enable new services based on Junos SDK, while offering strong built-in security to protect subscribers. The solution will fundamentally transform the mobile packet core to drive costs down, increase revenue opportunities and improve user experiences on a unified network.
“Mobility is not a box. It’s a way of life,” said Kim Perdikou, executive vice president, Office of the CEO, Juniper. “Mobile operators need their networking vendors to stop building new one-off boxes, band-aids and bolt-ons to handle mobile data traffic. They need networking vendors with real innovation that can offer immediate TCO relief, unmatched scale for the future, built-in security and open platforms to monetize new services. Mobile broadband is here to stay, and providers will need an open and secure network to take advantage.”
“Juniper is offering a differentiated approach to mobile networking, which is tackling the issue of traffic congestion in the core at the right time and in the right part of the network,” said Stéphane Téral, principal analyst, Mobile and FMC Infrastructure at Infonetics Research. “In addition to providing mobile operators with an evolution path to 4G technologies, Juniper is addressing today’s requirements for scaling, securing and enabling broadband services for continued revenue growth.”
Juniper’s Framework for Mobility Solutions delivers an enhanced mobile broadband experience at breakthrough economics, offering:
- An unprecedented combination of open and secure platforms, enabling innovation and protection across devices, applications and the network.
- Breakthrough 3D Scaling that allows service providers to simultaneously address subscribers, services and bandwidth.
- The highest level of investment protection through a seamless migration path to 3G and 4G/LTE networks — no “rip and replace” or “stranded capital” for existing MX customers.
- Modular service components that enable speed and flexibility in services revenue generation and deployments.
- Open SDKs that fuel an ecosystem of innovation and enable reusability.
For more information about today’s Juniper launch, please refer to the following resources:
- Juniper at Mobile World Congress — www.juniper.net/mwcpressroom
- The Network Ahead blog — www.juniper.net/networkahead
- Juniper.Net Community — www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper’s Social Channels — www.juniper.net/social
About Juniper Networks
From devices to data centers, from consumers to the cloud, Juniper Networks delivers innovative software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. The company serves more than 30,000 customers and partners worldwide, and generated more than $3 billion in revenue over the last year. Additional information can be found at www.juniper.net.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
This press release contains statements which may be considered forward-looking within the meaning of the U.S. federal securities laws, including statements relating to the expected future availability and benefits of Juniper Networks products. These statements are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual achievements to differ from those expressed or implied in this press release, including unforeseen delays or other risks associated with the product development and release process. Additional information concerning these and other risk factors is contained in the Risk Factors sections of Juniper Networks’ Form 10-Q for the quarter ended December 31, 2009. Juniper Networks assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information contained in this press release.
1 “Mobile Networks at the Tipping Point” white paper, published February 2010 by IDC. Juniper’s Traffic Direct and Media Flex solution delivers a TCO benefit of as much as 70% over a five year modeled scenario. Benefits are derived via the improved performance, lower net hardware and power consumption costs as delivered by Juniper’s MX 3D Series routers.