ADTRAN ONE expands agile photonic efficiencies of right-sized mini-ROADM to accelerate robust cloud, broadband and backhaul offerings
HUNTSVILLE, Ala.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 1, 2012-- ADTRAN®, Inc., (NASDAQ:ADTN, news, filings), a leading provider of next-generation networking solutions, today announced a significant expansion of its Optical Networking Edge (ONE) portfolio with new capabilities that enable all optical multi-ring and mesh topologies required in metro and middle-mile networks. A new four-degree, scalable, compact Reconfigurable Optical Add/Drop Multiplexer (mini-ROADM) system-on-a-blade enables greater flexibility for service providers to respond to shifts in traffic and capacity demands in their residential, business, wholesale and mobile backhaul networks. The ONE portfolio also now doubles capacity for service providers with up to 88 wavelengths of 10 gigabit per second (Gbps) and allows for future upgrade to 100Gbps networking and services.
As service providers seek to increase flexibility, reduce network complexity and simplify operations, ADTRAN’s ONE platform supports applications deeper into the network from the access and edge to the metro and middle-mile. The flexibility of the four-degree, gridless mini-ROADM design reduces complexity in the network compared to alternative ROADM architectures that typically require a multi-blade implementation and a separate service delivery platform. The mini-ROADM design also simplifies agile optical network deployments by uniquely integrating into a single card the typical distributed and over-sized ROADM sub-elements, such as the amplifiers required to adjust for optical losses. These new features allow service providers to rapidly respond to customer requirements in dynamic markets like residential broadband, carrier Ethernet and 4G backhaul.
“Historically,ADTRANhas been very focused on optimizing its optical product line to support access applications at the network’s edge. That is until now,” saidRon Kline, Principal Analyst, Network Infrastructure, Ovum. “The new four-degree, grid-less ROADM for ADTRAN’s ONE converged packet optical product supports both 100GHz and 50GHz designs, extending ONE’s network role to support metro mesh-centric and middle-mile applications. The ROADM technology also gives operators a bridge between edge and core networks and provides the flexibility to evolve channel plans over time as higher speed wavelengths are deployed in the metro: 100G and ultimately even 400G.”
Key features of ADTRAN’s ONE agile photonics solution:
- Wavelength Capacity and Service Delivery On-Demand:
- Multiple (up to 88) 10Gbps wavelengths (scalable to 100Gbps) provide quick network response to difficult to forecast services growth.
- Flexible, Multi-ring and Mesh Topologies:
- Right-sized, four-degree ROADM system-on-a-blade provides cost-effective and easy-to-operate solution for multi-ring and mesh optical networks required to support various services and traffic patterns.
- Access and Metro Ring Interoperability:
- Gridless ready architecture allows interworking of different sized network ring implementations without the need for complex and costly optical adaption and compatibility procedures. This architecture also enables fiber bandwidth scalability and efficiency for future services.
- Integrated Multi-Service Delivery with Transport:
- Integrated mobile backhaul, wholesale, residential broadband, business broadband and incumbent services delivery within a single packet optical platform benefiting from a common operational model.
- Service Aware Network Management:
- Transport network provisioning and capacity planning leverage intrinsic knowledge of services running at the higher network layers.
- Any-Service, Any-Port, Anywhere:
- Leverages unique mix of remotely configurable tunable optics, integrated agile photonics and differentiated OTN (G.709) switchponding functionality for extreme architectural flexibility and network transformation capabilities.
- Compact, Mini-ROADM Integration:
- Integrated Wavelength Selective Switch (WSS), EDFA amplifiers, optical monitoring and auto power balancing reduces network complexity and total cost of ownership.
“ADTRAN has been working closely with customers to deliver a solution that allows them to merge multi-service access, aggregation and packet optical transport for increased network flexibility and scalability,” saidMano Nachum, packet optical networking product line manager, ADTRAN’s Carrier Networks Division. “The new ONE capabilities allow service providers to take full advantage of the benefits of agile photonics in response to the ever growing traffic and capacity demands on their metro, middle-mile and access edge networks.”
ADTRAN, Inc.is a leading global provider of networking and communications equipment.ADTRAN'sproducts enable voice, data, video and Internet communications across a variety of network infrastructures.ADTRANsolutions are currently in use by service providers, private enterprises, government organizations, and millions of individual users worldwide.
Connect2 Communications for ADTRAN, Inc. Ashley Baster, 919-435-9112 firstname.lastname@example.org