One of Russia’s First External DWDM Channel to Be Based on Cisco Optical Networking Solutions
SAINT PETERSBURG – August 2, 2011 – Cisco today announced that one of Russia’s first external dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM) channel based on the Cisco® ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform (MSTP) has been launched by Edpnet, a European telecom provider operating in Europe, Russia and USA. This unique telecommunications channel connecting St. Petersburg and Stockholm provides data transmission between Russia, Europe and North America at the rate of 6.4 terabits per second. The equipment was delivered by Perfect, a Cisco premier certified partner in Russia.
The channel allows Russian and European users to enjoy higher access speed to resources hosted abroad. It enables Edpnet to offer communications channels with a bandwidth of 10 gigabits per second (STM-64, OC-192c, 10 gigabit Ethernet WAN PHY, 10 gigabit Ethernet LAN PHY) and 40 Gbps. The system is also ready for 100 Gbps channels. The network helps to ensure reliable, highly secure and fast data exchange. The redundant cable routes increase the network availability to 99.99 percent.
Key Facts / Highlights:
- The project to deploy the DWDM channel between St. Petersburg and Stockholm started in December 2010 and was completed in March 2011. First points of presence were installed on the route between Stockholm and Helsinki, and then the same was deployed on the Helsinki – St. Petersburg route.
- Having an extensive and positive experience of cooperation with Cisco, Edpnet had no doubt which vendor to choose. The Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP became the basis for the project. It introduces a new approach to building and managing of metropolitan and wide-area DWDM networks, allowing the optimization of next-generation networks across multiple layers and removing costly optical-electrical-optical (OEO) devices for network segmentation or regeneration.
- The Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP supports a wide variety of interface and service types, which can be fully transparently transported through complex mesh or very simple point-to-point networks.
- The platform features advanced optical technology, automated capacity management and easy operation. The Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP has a unique advantage: when using this platform, telecom operators can significantly increase network profitability by providing multiple services based on Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet with the help of standard synchronous digital hierarchy (SDH) infrastructure, without affecting existing time-division multiplexed (TDM) services. As a result, corporate clients can benefit from flexible and scalable transport to deliver data and content, which ensures operating expense (OPEX) reduction.
- Edpnet’s near-term plans include extension and deployment of DWDM channels in central regions of Russia.
Andrey Ermurak, head of business development, Edpnet:
“Based on modern DWDM technology, Edpnet’s international fiber-optic network offers Russian enterprises huge opportunities for growing their business. It brings the quality of telecom services to the next level and enables real-time interaction between organizations separated by hundreds of kilometers without any interference. In order to meet high standards, we work only with carefully selected vendors that drive their industries. Cisco, the leading network technology developer, is among them. Cisco’s solutions are distinguished by high quality, reliability, extensive functionality and easy operation, so they fully meet all our requirements.”
Tags, Keywords: Russia, Cisco, Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform, MSTP
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform
- For more information about Cisco’s service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blogor follow us on Twitter @SP360
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Russia is supplied through its authorized channel partners by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Alexander PalladinCisco Systems, Inc.+7 495 email@example.com
Investor Relations Contacts
- Matthew HardwickCisco Systems, Inc.+44 20 8824 firstname.lastname@example.org
Industry Analyst Relations
- Sharon RobinsonCisco Systems, Inc.+44 20 email@example.com