New Products, Services and Partnerships Address Demands of the Mobile Internet
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 13, 2011 — Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings) today announced a portfolio of products, solutions and partnerships that deliver open, scalable and secure solutions for mobile operators seeking profitable growth from the accelerating smartphone revolution. Juniper's new network solutions for the mobile Internet integrate the scale and simplicity of IP with the pervasive connectivity of mobility allowing mobile operators to monetize smartphone growth and lay a solid foundation for higher bandwidth, rich media applications.
"By 2020, there will be billions of smartphones and tens of billions of machine-to-machine devices on the market which will accelerate the move to IP-based mobile architectures and new business models. To capitalize on these dynamics, Juniper offers mobile operators a differentiated pathway to profitability," said Manoj Leelanivas, executive vice president and general manager of Junos® Application Software, Juniper Networks. "Juniper is providing solutions that immediately lower cost, orchestrate data and video delivery to maximize precious RAN resources, and offer a service innovation platform to unleash new services that operators can monetize."
The new network for mobility combines the strengths of IP and mobile technologies together in a single portfolio. As the mobile landscape expands from traditional voice and SMS to multimedia applications, mobile operators require graceful migration to LTE, without forklift upgrades, while building intelligent IP service orchestration. Juniper's unique portfolio of solutions unifies the legacy and new technologies with breakthrough performance, scale and open APIs for mobile operators to rapidly introduce new services.
Today Juniper, whose products and solutions are used by more than 300 service providers worldwide, introduces the following new mobile network solutions:
- MobileNext — The Industry's First Open Mobile Core: Delivering on Project Falcon, Juniper announces MobileNext, the first open mobile core network with a programmable platform for service innovation. MobileNext provides 2G/3G and LTE evolved packet core functions with the MobileNext Broadband Gateway providing GGSN/P-GW/ S-GW, MobileNext Control Gateway providing SGSN/MME, and MobileNext Policy Manager providing PCRF functions. Running on the Juniper Networks® MX 3D Universal Edge platform, the MobileNext Broadband Gateway is a suite of software that offers industry leading scalability of mobile sessions, set up rates and forwarding capacity and a programmable platform for rapid service innovation.
- MobileNext Consumer Services: Delivered on a single platform, MobileNext provides simultaneous 2G/3G and LTE services with seamless handoffs and low latency for quality of experience for end user applications. Operators can gracefully migrate to LTE while maintaining customer satisfaction.
- MobileNext Business Services: Delivering new monetization opportunities for operators, Mobile Business Services offer a network-based solution that reduces latency and cuts costs by combining APN technology within the mobile operator's network, with the Junos Pulse client-based solution via an SSL VPN. For on-the-go employees with smartphones and laptops, MobileNext Business Services provide seamless corporate access for the dynamic enterprise, anytime, anywhere.
- Service Delivery Gateway: Also based on the MX 3D portfolio, the Service Delivery Gateway provides a rich suite of vital IP functions such as Carrier Grade NAT, Firewall, Traffic Direct for offload, Video Optimization, Dynamic Subscriber Awareness, and Application Load Balancing on a single Junos® platform. This integration of services delivers up to 36 percent TCO savings and improved experience over current deployments which use a long chain of expensive point products.
- Expanded Media Flow Portfolio: Through integration of the Juniper Media Flow Solution with video optimization leader Openwave Systems, Juniper's expanded Media Flow portfolio with its integrated Video Optimization Solution reduces the cost of delivering mobile video and maximizes RAN investment while improving subscriber quality of experience. The combined solution including Juniper's MobileNext and Media Flow together with Openwave Systems Media Optimization product provides intelligent caching, traffic steering, dynamic video compression and transcoding for video streams to mobile devices.
- Expanded Security Solutions for Junos Pulse: Juniper is delivering an expansion of the Junos Pulse Mobile Security Suite to new devices and customers --which includes anti-virus, anti-spam, malware protection, and remote device lock and erase to protect against loss or theft. Service providers can bundle these capabilities as part of a turnkey solution for hosted mobile security offerings to help drive incremental revenue while delivering peace of mind to customers who are at risk from malicious security threats.
To help mobile operators prepare, plan, deploy and optimize their mobile networks, Juniper also announced new Mobile Internet Professional Services which include LTE and IPv6 readiness assessments, mobile video optimization services and managed security services, all designed to streamline operator migration to LTE.
"With mobile data traffic growing exponentially, not only do operators have to scale their networks to meet the demand but also personalize subscriber experiences," said Jennifer Pigg, vice president, Yankee Group. "Our service provider clients are clamoring for innovative solutions such as Juniper's new network and MobileNext that lower their cost per bit while, increasing the value per bit."
For more information about today's launch, please refer to the following resources:
- Juniper at Mobile World Congress — www.juniper.net/mwc
- The Network Ahead blog — www.juniper.net/networkahead
- Juniper.Net Community — www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper's Social Channels — www.juniper.net/social
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net).
Statements in this press release concerning Juniper Networks' prospects and future products are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including those listed in Juniper Networks' most recent report on Form 10-Q or 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date set forth at the beginning of this release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.