- Broader Assortment of Embedded 4G WiMAX Laptops and Netbooks Available Starting this Summer for Back to School
- All Laptops Based on Intel(R) Core(TM) Processors to Have 4G WiMAX Built-in Across All Best Buy Stores Nationwide by Holiday
- Expanded Devices Line-Up and Discounted Equipment Pricing Offer Consumers Greater Access to Unlimited Data with CLEAR(R) 4G Service
KIRKLAND, Wash., Jun 21, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of wireless broadband services, today announced the nationwide expansion of embedded 4G mobile broadband laptops in all Best Buy locations and at www.bestbuy.com. Starting today, consumers will have access to expanded choices and discounted equipment offers on Intel-based, embedded WiMAX laptops with access to CLEAR(R) 4G super fast mobile Internet service.
Just in time for summer, consumers across the country can future-proof their laptops based on Intel(R) Core(TM) processor-based from Best Buy with built-in 4G capability, enabling the devices to easily connect to CLEAR's super fast mobile Internet service. Whether streaming videos at the beach or downloading vacation footage from the backseat of a minivan, users can experience true mobile broadband connectivity in CLEAR coverage areas. Customers can choose between several devices, including the Dell Inspiron 14, Dell Inspiron 15, Dell Mini 10, and Toshiba Satellite M645. Availability will vary by location.
CLEAR offers unlimited usage, unlike service plans from traditional wireless carriers which cap the amount of data a customer can use. CLEAR's mobile Internet plans start at $40 per month. Bundled service options for home access can offer additional savings. Qualifying embedded 4G mobile broadband devices from Best Buy are eligible for a $100 discount when customers sign up for CLEAR service with a two-year service agreement.
CLEAR service is currently available in dozens of cities, in areas of the United States where 51 million people live. A detailed map of service availability can be found at http://www.clear.com/coverage.
"Embedding 4G technology into laptops and netbooks makes it easy for consumers to experience CLEAR's super fast mobile Internet service on the latest devices," said Mike Sievert, chief commercial officer for Clearwire. "The discounted summer and holiday pricing on CLEAR-ready laptops from Intel and available through Best Buy is another way Clearwire is working to meet the rapidly growing demand for true mobile broadband services in the U.S."
"The program from Best Buy to expand the availability of fully embedded, seamlessly integrated WiMAX on laptops based on Intel(R) Core(TM) processors will make it even easier for consumers across the country to enjoy the enhanced performance of Clear's 4G mobile broadband network," said Erik Reid, director, Mobile Product Group at Intel. "During the back to school and holiday shopping seasons, Intel, along with Best Buy and Clearwire will continue to make an unprecedented number of embedded WiMAX laptops and netbooks available from all major PC OEMs."
For more information about CLEAR, visit http://www.clear.com or The CLEAR Blog http://www.theclearblog.com. You can also follow CLEAR on Twitter at @Clear_Events. Detailed company information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
For press and broadcast: Product images, video footage and company logos can be downloaded from the Clearwire Newsroom at http://www.clearwire.com/newsroom. To subscribe to Clearwire's RSS news feed, click here.
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ: CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of mobile broadband services. Our 4G network is currently available in areas of the United States where approximately 51 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire's open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its service through its own brand called CLEAR(R) as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash. Additional information is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management's current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management's expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words "will," "would," "may," "should," "estimate," "project," "forecast," "intend," "expect," "believe," "target," "designed," "plan" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire's control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum.
- If our business fails to perform as we expect, or if we elect to pursue new plans or strategies, we may be required to raise substantial additional financing, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we may need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We are committed to using commercially reasonable efforts to deploy wireless broadband networks based solely on mobile WiMAX technology, even if there are alternative technologies available in the future that are technologically superior or more cost effective.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on May 6, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Clearwire Corporation
National Media and Industry Analysts - Clearwire
Investor Relations - Clearwire
National Media and Industry Analysts - JLM Partners for Clearwire